Somewhere in my internet excursions, I came across this little gem as a profile for an internet dating site:
The first thing I had to do was to check and see if I’ve been sleep-posting to dating sites again. The second thing I needed to do was to install security cameras to catch whoever is spying on me, because really, this is just plain creepy. The third thing I did was to ponder this poignant missive, and wonder why there is rarely any truth to online dating profiles. As a service to you, my loyal readers and followers, I have decided to create a list of common dating profile phrases and define them for you. You’re welcome in advance.
- Average Body Type: This is a phrase that needs further clarification in so many ways
- Must love pets: Crazy cat lady
- Currently caring for parents: Lives at home
- Friendly, outgoing personality: Starts bar room brawls at noon at the local saloon
- People person: See above
- Loves video games: Basement dweller
- Occasional smoker: Closet chain-smoker
- Investor: Buys scratch-off tickets at the local gas station
- Loves working out: Loves working out what’s for dinner and whether to watch Maury or Dr. Phil
- Loves hiking: Parks the car at the far end of Wal-Mart once weekly
- Enjoys quiet afternoons antiquing: Hoarder
- I enjoy fine wine by candlelight: Lush and possible arsonist
- I’m laid back and easygoing: Neurosis still to be diagnosed
- My friends say I’m fun: They have to, it’s what I’m paying them for
- Seeking a partner in crime: My last one is doing ten years because s/he didn’t run fast enough
- Seeking a causal relationship: Married
- Looking for friendship: See above
- Love romantic dinners by candlelight: Will stick a candle in the napkin holder at McDonald’s
- Very open minded: To my own ideas
Ok, I may seem a little harsh, but if you must know, my own online dating stories have been pretty much epic fails. From the guy in the questionable hairpiece (I swear it was moving) to the one who claimed he was 6’4” and was actually a circus midget in real life (no really, he was in the circus, born and raised), I have been stalked, the recipient of highly inappropriate pictures (which I didn’t ask for, I’ll have you know), and otherwise disappointed to the point that I hardly even change out of sweatpants for dates anymore. I have the escape text pre-programmed into my phone, and I carry mace in my purse. Not the spray; an actual mace.
What if online profiles just said what they mean? Read this one I recently posted on a dating site:
I’m just putting this profile up to get likes on the cute picture of me and my dog. I hate to go anywhere, and doing things is usually too much of a bother. My main profile picture is from eighty years ago when I was a cheerleader in high school. I may have gained five, ten, a hundred and ninety pounds since then. I hate people. I especially hate people anywhere near me. Ever. I enjoy the quiet comfort of my couch and a healthy dinner of chocolate cake and Captain Crunch. I snort when I laugh and have been known to belch at a funeral. I think I look sexy in my fuzzy sweatshirt with the coffee stain on the sleeve. Ok, on the sleeves. Ok, on the sleeves and collar. I think I look sexy in my fuzzy sweatshirt covered in coffee stains and chocolate sauce. I really want to find someone who loves me unconditionally and gives me the attention I need while leaving me alone 99% of the time. If you want to get back to me, that’s fine. I don’t really care either way. If we end up going on a date I’ll have to get dressed and leave the house, so it’s okay if you don’t contact me. In fact, don’t bother. I’m kind of a bitch anyway.
Still waiting on the right swipes to start rolling in. They’re coming though, any day now.
What if there was a dating site that matched you with pet profiles? What do you think? Wow, I wasn’t even thinking THAT, you guys are sick. Seriously. Ewww.
What I meant was, you could look at their profile and see their pets and connect through your love of animals. They could call it Puppy Love, and the motto would be:
“Who cares about the owner, check out this adorable kitten.”
It’s impossible to be disappointed with the outcome of any date that included a fantastic pet encounter as well. Heck, I’d suffer through a bad date just to hang out with a kitten or pupper. You just can’t go wrong meeting a cute bundle of fluff. The guy (or gal) might be an asshole, but hey, at least you met a new doggo! Can you imagine the break-up? Yeah, so, I don’t think this is going to work. You’re an asshole. But I can still visit Caden the Corgi, right? Right!?